Join the creative and energetic team at Public Media Network and help to tell the stories of people who are advancing our community through media. Public Media Network is looking for an individual to help develop an individual giving program, increase volunteer engagement, strengthen partnerships, and help to bring into focus the impact of dynamic media center for the community.
Public Media Network’s Community Advancement Specialist performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to: development and execution of a membership program, planning special events, cultivation of donor relationships and implementation of an individual giving program, coordination of systems and activities to measure impact, outreach and recruitment to engage community members with PMN, and assistance with grant writing and strategic partnerships.
The Community Advancement Specialist also provides support for Public Media Network’s activities, services, and operations.
Example of Duties (for illustration purposes only):
• Conducts outreach and recruitment to encourage active community participation in PMN training programs and services.
• Conducts outreach to develop regular usage of PMN Community Media Arts Center.
• Coordinates and implements efforts to educate the community about the impact and value of PMN. Act as a PMN representative to nonprofit, educational, and community groups.
• Engages with volunteers, community producers, and members
• Develops outreach strategy targeting potential community producers and volunteers.
• Coordinate production projects with Media Production Manager and Operations Manager.
• Develops partnerships and collaborations with organizations and individuals in the community
• Coordinate tours of the PMN Community Media Arts Center.
• Writes copy for video, print and online material consistent with brand identity.
• Assists in managing PMN’s active participation in social media.
• Reviews and updates recruitment, development and general informational materials
• Assists in developing and coordinating events, including special events, film festivals, and fundraising events.
• Assists in researching grant opportunities and the development of a grant calendar.
• Assists in coordinating activities and systems to measure impact
• Works with team to coordinate PMN special events, televised special events, and fundraisers.
• Assists with individual donor program
• Assists in pursuing underwriting/sponsorship opportunities with area businesses.
• May operate professional media production equipment, such as cameras, lights, graphics, audio, and nonlinear edit systems.
• Assists with the proper check-in and check-out of production equipment.
• Assists in preparing reports on the plans, activities, and outcomes of the Community Engagement and Advancement Functions.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Excellent organization skills; strong communication skills including effective writing and public speaking; a superior grasp of grammar and spelling; professional interpersonal, social and phone skills; ability to engage and build relationships with diverse community members; ability to work independently exercising good judgment, and work as part of a larger team; strong project management skills. The position also requires proficiency with word processing, desktop publishing, spreadsheet, and database software. Have a sense of creativity, a willingness to explore, and a desire to be innovative.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
The Community Advancement Specialist should have demonstrated experience in planning, drafting, and editing a variety of fund development materials. Experience in special event planning and coordination strongly preferred. Nonprofit experience is a plus.
Suggested Training and Education Requirements:
An associates or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (public relations, marketing, public administration, business communications, etc), a minimum of 1 year of experience in a nonprofit organization, public media organization, or equivalent environment, or any combination of training and experience that provides the desired knowledge and skills for the position.
Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license by the State of Michigan.
Reports to: Community Engagement and Advancement Manager
Hours: Full-Time, non-exempt. Standard work schedule is flexible during PMN’s standard business hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 9:30 pm, and Saturday 10 am – 6 pm. The position will work alternate Saturdays. The nature of the position and PMN’s business activities may necessitate work assignments outside of these hours.
Pay rate: $10 – 15/hour, based on experience. 40 hours per week.
Please send by 5:00 p.m. Friday, December 15, 2017, a cover letter and resume to [email protected] or mail to:
Public Media Network
359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Third Floor
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
NO PHONE CALLS.