Public Media Network (PMN) is a Public, Education, and Government (PEG) community media organization founded in 1983. We provide non-commercial media services to these consortium partner communities: City of Kalamazoo, City of Portage, Kalamazoo Township, Oshtemo Township, Comstock Township and the City of Parchment.
Our services include: media production training, equipment loan, programming distribution, and vocational instruction in radio and digital video production to local high schools. We also manage and operate (under contract) WKDS 89.9 FM, a 100-watt FM non-commercial/educational radio station licensed to the Kalamazoo Public Schools.
PMN currently operates from two facilities: Administration and Production at the Epic Center 359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Suite 300 and our Government Production Services Unit in Portage.
About the Internship:
Public Media Network (PMN) is seeking a talented intern for social media and marketing. Our ideal candidate is someone who walks into a room of people and can’t leave without making a few friends. Someone who is obsessed with social media and is creative, professional, and thoughtful when interacting with online communities and building relationships. As an intern, you will get to work with a variety of our staff while working on real projects that will help us grow our social media presence.
What You Will Learn:
– Relationship building with our online community by maintaining Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other media accounts.
– Create compelling content that will be shared by influencers.
– Creative feedback and viral loops between our Facebook Page, Twitter, and blog accounts.
– Assist our Marketing & Promotions Coordinator in building and presenting social media strategy.
– How to coordinate events.
– Plenty of additional opportunities in related projects.
– How to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department leaders and other professionals in the non-profit and marketing field.
What We Require:
– Background in Marketing, Communication, or other related disciplines.
– Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
– Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office, and Adobe products: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator.
– Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
– You will follow a long term social media plan and marketing calendar.
– Creative and Flexible.
– Ability to work with a team and independently.
– You can write an effective press/media release.
– Familiarity with social networking sites desired, but we will also train.
– Interested in the issues equal access to learning resources and generally socially conscious individual.
– An interest in nonprofit management and community development is desirable.
– Interns will be required to write several bi-weekly blog posts about their experience and activities at Public Media Network.
– You will also be required to present a mini portfolio of your work. It is understood that the completion of these projects is required to complete the internship. All projects must be completed within two weeks of final work date.
– This internship has flexible hours, with a total of 9 hours per week. At least 6 of those hours will be completed in the office.
Please fill out contact form below. Include cover letter and resume. No phone calls please.